• <object id="e08gg"><address id="e08gg"></address></object>
  • <pre id="e08gg"><small id="e08gg"><input id="e08gg"></input></small></pre>
  • <th id="e08gg"></th><nav id="e08gg"><video id="e08gg"><span id="e08gg"></span></video></nav><pre id="e08gg"><menu id="e08gg"><p id="e08gg"></p></menu></pre>

• <strike id="e08gg"><video id="e08gg"></video></strike>
  • <code id="e08gg"></code>
    <th id="e08gg"></th>
        Menu
        ??
        Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DH and I have NO overlap in names... 25 days til baby!!

So naming kids is the hardest thing in our entire marriage, lol! We aren't THAT far apart in style, but we don't overlap at all.

NAME PREFERENCES:
          --Easy to spell and pronounce
          --Preferably 2 syllables (I like shorter names, but our last name is 1 syllable)
          --Timeless, i.e. not super trendy or associated with a certain decade
          --Last name is pronounced "pits", so shouldn't start with "P" or end with "S"

BACKSTORY:
          Siblings are Henry Lewis, Madeline Grace, and Ivy Faith. I named Henry and Ivy, he named Madeline.
          Our Henry is 13, so it was before it was trendy.
          I've never liked the name Madeline (trendy, longer than I like, people always spell it wrong and call her Maddie).
          He's never liked Ivy (admittedly not great with our last name, but I love it and it honors my grandmother.)

OUR LISTS:
          I love:
          James (taken by a family member)
          Grant (sounds clunky with our last name)

I like:
          Everett (doesn't sound great with Ivy, DH doesn't like it)
          Aaron (DH doesn't like it)
          Shane (my cousin's name)

I like but don't LOVE:
          Adrian
          Gavin
          Jesse
          Simon
          Milo

He loves:
          Jacob (naming my kid a name that was #1 for 2 decades really makes me cringe)

He likes:
          Isaac (not great with Ivy)
          Thomas (I don't like that people would automatically call him Tom or Tommy, and I don't like the -S ending)
          Daniel (I'm not a fan)

My head says the right answer is to let him have Jacob, since he let me have Ivy, but my heart isn't there yet!

Thanks for reading my life story, lol, and for any fresh names you can add to my list!!!!

I think Jacob is a good choice. It matches with your kids and people will most likely not automatically shorten it to Jake. I agree that one syllable and ending with S aren’t great choices. Personally, I think Everett sounds good with Ivy, but it doesn’t stylistically match. I like Simon from your list the most with Adrian in close second. James also sounds good (even though it’s one syllable and ends with s). If it’s the first name of a child in your family that you’re really close to, then I wouldn’t use it. If you’re not close or it’s a middle name, then I think it’s okay to use it.

Some other possible choices:
          Gregory
          Winston
          Wyatt
          John
          Jonathan
          Barry/Berry
          Roscoe
          Ross
          Camron
          Shawn/Sean/Shaun
          Evan
          Miles
          Isaiah
          Reese

From the ones I said, I like Wyatt, Miles, and Isaiah the best. Good luck!
          Last edited by valeria8888; September 3rd, 2019 at 08:33 AM.
          Valeria | Top 15

Girls:

Cecelia Josephine|Danica Victrice|Darcy Juniper|Eloise Anara|Evangeline Pomona|Greta Cosette|Iris Philomena|Leona Sylvie|Linnea Lilac|Lucia Hero|Marta Rosalie|Juliet Calypso|Romilly Sage|Thalia Maxine|Willow Serena

Boys:

Alexei Andreas|Alfonso Wade|Ambrose Winston|Casey Balthazar|Chester Flynn|Elias Buchanan|Indiana Matthias|James Viridian|Jeremiah Dashiell|Josiah Halcyon|Klaus Adriano|Malachi Vander|Samwell Ulysses|Sylvester Wolf|Walter Jude

I can understand your hesitation on Jacob. However, it is a great name! Alternatively you could go for Caleb?

Other ideas:
          Gabriel (nn Gabe)
          John
          Ian
          Adam
          Lucas
          Timothy
          Patrick
          Jeremy
          Andrew
          Kevin
          Joan | Felicity | Winifred | Elizabeth | Mae | Alice | Dorothy | Bernadette | Eleanor

William | Conrad | Leonard | Lionel | Barnaby | Isaac | Hugh | Grover | Harvey

I like Theodore nn Theo or Teddy with your other names. And I think it will sound good with your last name!

I second the suggestions of Caleb and Oscar for you

Ivy, Madeline, Henry and...

Joseph
          Gareth
          Grady
          Joshua
          Zachary
          Jameson
          Evan
          Owen
          Leon
          Toby
          Samuel
          Elijah
          ??Grace??
          Sarai Matilda|Una Adele|Sholto Felix|Percy Evander
          double barrelled..
          Emilie-Camille Lucy|Cora-Mae Elspeth
          Alba-Jane Poppy|Hadley-Maeve Isla
          Carys-Eleni June|Adelaide-Estelle Margot
          More

Graham, Bram, David, Davis, Jack, Emmett, Bennett, Beckett, Caleb, Andrew, Theodore nn Theo, Benjamin nn Ben or Benji, William nn Will or Liam, Samuel, Alexander (nn Alec maybe?), Luke/Lucas, Nathan/Nathaniel nn Nate, Joseph, Nicholas, Matthew, Matthias, Charles, Adam, Noah, Ethan, Eli/Elijah/Elias, John, Michael, Joshua, Oliver, Jonah/Jonas, Peter, Gabriel, Owen, Zachary, Arthur, George, Christopher nn Chris or Kit, Isaiah, Levi, Micah, Patrick, Gideon, Leo, Jude/Judah, Ezra, Miles, Jasper, Calvin, Sebastian, Malachi, Clark, Josiah, Felix, Foster, Asher, Julian (nn Jules?), Oscar, Robert, Timothy, Richard, Ezekiel, Mark/Marcus, Silas, Anthony, Linus, Dean, Dylan, Jackson, Seth, Tobias, Walter, Garrett, Cole, Colton, Carter, Reid, Chase, Wesley, Rhett, Brett, Landon, Nash, Brooks

As for Thomas, I went to high school with three boys who were named Thomas. All of them (successfully) went by Thomas. Also, I don't think it's awful with your last name.

Would you consider a longer name with a short nickname?
          rachel

Delilah - Camilla - Geneva - Ida - Valentine
          Ronan - Arthur - Gabriel - Clayton - Declan - Matthew - Bennett

@valeria8888

It IS funny that my favorite name breaks half my rules, huh?? James is actually the name of my husband's grandfather, who was a terrible guy. He died in the 80's so to me he's just a guy who died decades ago. I asked my husband to see if he could get over the connection and let this guy be a new James, but he can't quite get there.

Thanks for the suggestions!!
          Last edited by akp; September 5th, 2019 at 12:18 PM.

@river_dweller

It's like you're looking at my husband's family tree! John, Andrew, Jeremy and Caleb are already in the fam! I like Gabe, but that was my HS boyfriend! And I like Ian, but Ian and Ivy is a bit much! Thanks for your list!!
          Last edited by akp; September 5th, 2019 at 12:19 PM.

@wilkie8709

This is a great list! I like Nolan, Gavin, Julian, and Jonah. Mixed feeling on Jonah though-- I like the name, but I don't love the bible prophet. I like Blake, too, but it feels clunky with our last name.